These small bread pans* are perfect for baking a pint-size loaf for kids (who love the breakfast bread that fits in their small hands). Using the smaller pans also offers a baking product that travels easily, whether you’re on the road or in the air. In fact, using mini bread pans for different banana bread recipes would be fun.
My youngest child likes nuts, but claims not to like them in bread. I have found that finely chopping the walnuts I use in this bread gives the breakfast bread a wonderful nutty flavor (with more staying power), which my son loves. Of course, he doesn’t know that he’s enjoying the taste of the walnuts in the bread, in a mini form. This mini Cuisinart* does a good job of mincing up the walnuts fast.
The scrumptious fresh blueberries combined with the ripe bananas makes for a wonderful treat any time of day. I love this recipe because it’s made with fresh fruit and butter, and while eating this bread all the time would not be healthy, it’s a welcome treat for weary travelers.
Just think–when you’re traveling and you need a little something to eat to go with your coffee, espresso, or tea, this little bread is the perfect solution. So make a few loaves of this Blueberry Banana Bread, and take some slices with you on your journey. Of course, the bread is simply wonderful to have at home, too!
Blueberry Banana BreadPrint This Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray 3 mini bread pans with non-stick cooking spray
1. Whisk together thoroughly:
- 1 1/3 Cups All Purpose Four (unbleached)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
2. In a mixer, beat on high speed 2 minutes:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
3. Beat in the flour mixture until blended.
4. Gradually beat in:
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5. Fold in just until combined:
- 1 Cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Blueberries
6. Scrape the batter into the mini bread pans, dividing the batter as evenly as possible. I put the 3 mini bread pans on top of a baking sheet and carefully put them in the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. This bread freezes well.
Photo by Kelly Estes